Monday, December 22, 2008

Gig Report: Dec 18th

Self Promoted:

Zach Galanis
John Louviere
Cameron Rafatti

I was anxious for this show, but my anxiousness was unfounded.  The long, luxurious soundcheck afforded by Zach's schedule made for the ability to kill lots of gremlins before showtime.  The subwoofer amp finally killed the fan on the A channel (10 minutes before soundcheck!), so I had to run both subs off one side.  No noticeable problems, though.  When you win, you win.

The only thing that really bugged me was how the crowd talked through the sets played by Cameron and John.  As much as I try not to let things get under my skin as much as they used to, this kind of thing is sandpaper on my nerves.  Here are these guys playing some excellent music, and I've got half the room yapping loudly in my left ear.  This really marred the night for me, because it made the truly excellent audience turnout into sort of a bad thing.  I would have settled for only having had the 50% of the crowd that actually listened, personally.

Although I've tried to put away my "jaded, mean, cynical audio technician" hat away, I'm going to put it back on now.  Underground is not a bar, where bands and solo artists are booked for the purpose of attracting buyers of various alcoholic beverages.  Underground is a place to HEAR music.  If you just can't be bothered to shut your trap, please find somewhere else to be.

I'm about 99% sure that I'm preaching to the choir with this, but if I'm not, and the preceding paragraph has offended you...GOOD.

There, I feel better now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Preach on, brotha!